My Blog List

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What do you guys think about when hip hop artists perform live with a huge band? I don't think I really like it. Roots excluded, I think the drums and guitar are often too over the top. The Black Keys with Mos Def is different. At least I think so. I'm asking because I just watched Jay-Z with Kanye West and Rhianna on Leno last night. (Adam, I also agree with you about Leno) I'm just not that into it and websites are already talking about how good it was. Am I crazy?

2 comments:

Adam said...

yep, I've been saying this for years.

This is the constant problem with Hip Hop live performances.

The CENTRAL point of Hip Hop is the electronic repetitive nature of it. I can't really explain why, but whenever you take that out of there, whenever you let the drums sound natural and not overly compressed, you effectively neuter the entire sound.

Along those lines, it was really in vogue for young (usually white) college aged kids to start "Live Hip Hop Bands"! and somehow they always thought this would be interesting to people, and somehow it never was.

Adam said...

Another thing.

Hip Hop only really works when the rapper or rappers are at the CENTER of stage.

You can never take a rapper and place him in the background, once you do, you ruin the immediacy of his vocals and it sounds like someone is having an amplified conversation over music.

Most lead guitarists aren't very comfortable with that.

Followers

PETA2.com

Blog Archive

Boycott Cruelty